Friday, May 05, 2006

Zoo Tycoon.

It's nearly the end of the Fifth of May.

I decided today I'd eat at Cinqo de Mayo Restaurant at the Travel Lodge along Sixth Street. I pass it most days when I drive to campus to work at my office, and I figured it was a good day to try it out. I ordered from the lunch menu the Cinqo de Mayo burrito. It was big, and pretty good. In fact, it was so big I hardly needed to eat any dinner.

It might have helped that I also had a couple bowls of ice cream at our celebation of service award at UIS. We created a "leg-of-the-stool" award for service. The UIS says that faculty are supposed to have a balanced mix of scholarship, teaching, and service, and the university is kept steady by a balance among these activities like the legs of a stool. Well, the service leg isn't as strong as the teaching and scholarship legs, and this celebration was an attempt to start changing that.

I got home and I was exhausted. I was up late trying to help a student who is close to failing a course I'm teaching. I edited their paper and wrote more comments and suggestions than I think they had written in their own paper. This was a paper that should have been turned in a couple weeks ago, but I only saw it for the first time yesterday. So when i got home I was sleepy and took a nap.

Waking up, I went into the basement and tried the new computer game my sons have been raving about this week. I gave them Zoo Tycoon (with all the expansion packs) for the 12th Day of Ridvan, and they've been playing it an awful lot. I thought I would give it a try and see what it was like. That was about 8:00, when I went downstairs. At about 11:00 Jeri came down and reminded us that it was far past our bedtime. Wow, I didn't have those three hours to waste. I should have been giving feedback to students.

I guess that is what I'll do now.

No comments: