Sunday, November 16, 2008

Biking to Work Playlist

Well, it's getting cold for bike commuting to work, and I hate riding my bike on icy nights in the dark. So, I might start using my car a bit more in the last few weeks of the semester. I had a cold this past week (I'm still not over it), so I only biked in on Wednesday and home on Thursday.

I thought I would share the bike-to-work playlist I use on my iPod. Sometimes I listen to lectures or podcasts going back and forth (it takes 35-50 minutes each way, depending upon the wind direction and speed, and that gives me time to listen to a full 30 minute lecture). But when I need to hurry I listen to this mix of fast-tempo songs I enjoy. Here is the list of those songs. I've provided samples from the songs, plus links to videos with other versions of the songs for some of the songs. I just thought I'd share some music with everyone.

Balls 4:28 by Sparks from Balls
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) 5:17 by The Arcade Fire from Funeral
Fast Cars 2:27 by The Buzzcocks from Love Bites
Do The Bee 1:52 by Hüsker Dü from Land Speed Record
Go Speed Go 5:34 by Alpha Team from Speed
AirBurst (You Fly) 4:45 by Adam Fothergill - Jaffa Mountain from AirBurst Remixes
Birthday (Tommy D Mix) 6:41 by Sugarcubes from It's-it
Don't Crash 4:50 by Front 242 from Kommando (remix) 12"
Jungle Music 3:57 by Rico w/The Special A.K.A. from The 2 Tone Collection: A Checkered Past
Like An Animal (club? what club) 6:35 by The Glove from Blue Sunshine
Mondo '77 4:57 by Looper from The Geometrid
Monkey Man 3:39 by Toots & The Maytals from True Love
The News 6:12 by Carbon/Silicon from The News - Single
Ranking Full Stop 2:49 by The English Beat from The 2 Tone Collection: A Checkered Past
San Remo 1:48 by Perez Prado And His Orchestra from Mondo Mambo! The Best Of Perez Prado And His Orchestra
Sympathy For The Devil (Soul To Waste) 4:53 by 300 000 V.K. Laibach from Sympathy For The Devil
Visions Of You (Radio Edit) 4:23 by Jah Wobble from Visions Of You
Buckethead 8:45 by Carbon/Silicon from Mind Control
Mighty War Whoop 4:15 by Ken Drakeford from Box Room Sessions
All Join In 3:27 by Ken Drakeford from Box Room Sessions

There are stories behind each song. I remember Beth Buller made a tape for me when I was a freshman in college that had that "Like an Animal" song and some more from The Glove. I should thank Martin Martsch (and indirectly, his brother Doug) for turning me on to Sparks and The Arcade Fire. I learned about Perez Prado listening to NPR years ago. I found Ken Drakeford's music browsing around on iTunes a couple years ago. I should thank Pontus Aratoun for introducing me to Front 242 and Laibach.

No comments: