Monday, September 08, 2008

Family Art

In our undergraduate program at the university we try to encourage students to take a couple upper-division art courses. When I was in college I can't remember taking any courses that were specifically about art. I had components of art and popular culture as significant topics in many of the courses I did take, but I never took courses like ceramics or photography (I did learn to use a dark room in high school and did some black & white photography then).

Over the past years I've put up some web pages with images of art created by myself, my wife, or our children. There are five pages up now. These are:

A page with some works by myself and Chun-Chih.
A page with some of Arthur's early work (and an abstract oil painting I did in high school)
A page with Sebastian's early drawings.
A page with Arthur's third grade work.
A page with some assorted works by Sebastian, Arthur, and me.

Some of the work is pretty interesting. I like Chun-Chih's versions of the Van Gogh Paintings.

1 comment:

Eric Hadley-Ives said...

Hello Oswald,

Your blog has some interesting posts. I especially liked the history of the passport. It's in German, but I studied German in high school and college, and could understand the general meaning of the article, especially with some help from the Babelfish. You have some nice posts on gardens as well.

That's a good suggestions, about using advertising. I've considered advertising, but I would want to make sure the advertising was done in tiny blocks off to the right side of my page content, and, for example, at your blog it seems there are advertisements right in the main content area breaking up the flow of your blog posts.

I do have advertisements for books I've made at some of my web pages. I place the advertisements at the bottom of the pages where they won't get in the way. For example, look at the bottom of the pages in our Spanish trip website or in our Asian travel pictures website. In a typical week it seems we get about 20-30 people clicking on those little advertisements to look at my books, but so far in over a year of advertising only one person unknown to me has ever purchased any book I've authored.