Thursday, September 11, 2008

Teaching by Example.

I took the family, all four of us, to hear James Loewen speak at the university tonight. It was even better than his talk at the Unitarian congregation back in November of last year. I think Sebastian (who is 13) enjoyed the talk as well, but I'm afraid Arthur (who is 9) was not so interested. I recommend Dr. Loewen's home page: http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/

Looking over some of the e-mails and newsgroups I subscribe to, I found a wonderful story about 'Abdu'l-Baha, remembered by Julia Fung and Lua, and then copied and shared with us by Sen McGlinn.


AN EXPERIENCE WITH 'ABDU'L BAHA
ANISE RIDEOUT

IT WAS my great privilege to be in New York during the last days
spent by 'Abdu'l Baha in America. There was a question which I
greatly longed to ask, but fearing the reply would be that I must
talk to people, everywhere, I hesitated.

Finally, on the last day, almost the last moment of my stay, it came
to me that it was cowardly to hesitate. On that day, as I came into
His Presence, He immediately said, "Are there any questions?" At once
I asked the question, "Which is the best way to give the Baha'i
Message?"

'Abdu'l Baha's Face became very serious, His Voice loud as He
answered in these words:

"The first thing to do is to acquire a thirst for Spirituality, then
Live the Life! Live the Life! Live the Life! The way to acquire this
thirst is to meditate upon the future life.

Study the Holy Words, read your Bible, read the Holy Books,
especially study the Holy Utterances of Baha'u'llah; Prayer and
Meditation, take much time for these two. Then will you know this
Great Thirst, and then only can you begin to Live the Life!

"To live the Life you must be the very kindest woman, you must be
the most pure, you must be absolutely truthful, and live a perfectly
moral life.

"Visit your neighbors when they are sick or in trouble, offer your
services to them, try to show them that you are longing to serve
them.

"Feed the poor, divide what you have. Be contented to remain where
God has placed you; be faithful in your care of those to whom He has
trusted you, never waver in this show by your life you have something
different, so that all will see and will say, 'What has this person
that I have not?'

"Show the world that in spite of the utmost suffering, poverty,
sickness, you have something which gives you comfort, strength and
peace that you are happy serene satisfied with all that is in your
life.

"Then they, too, will want what you possess and will need no
further teaching after you tell them what it is."

- Star of the West, Vol. 19, p. 69

No comments: