Sunday, September 28, 2008

Videos I've encountered on the Internet and enjoyed

Today I'll post some videos from YouTube that I like.

First, here is a cute cartoon about Critical Mass.

Here is an amazing music video for a song from one of my favorite albums (and the book is good, too), My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. This is for the song Mea Culpa.

A nice peace video.

One of the best attempts I've ever encountered of trying to capture or induce a mystical experience through video. This 2006 film by Sonja van Kerkhoff is worth watching.

A music video I somewhat like, more for the message than the music, although the music isn't bad, this is World on Fire by Sarah McLachlan.

I love The Fall, and this video for Plastic Man shows a series of images related to Plastic Man while you can listen to Mark E. Smith sing Plastic Man.

And here we have an interpretation of a Captain Beefheart song. Well worth study.

My favorite art videos are animations of abstract works by my favorite artist, Kandinsky. You can see this one or this one.

One of the greatest short films ever made, Jan Svankmajer's 1966 Punch and Judy (Coffin Maker) is available to be seen, and everyone should view it. To me, this is one of the greatest commentaries on the vanities of this life. Greed and jealousy are lampooned, and this material world is portrayed as deeply disturbing and yet somehow tragic and funny. Any Baha'i who knows the about Baha'u'llah's youth cannot forget how He too was inspired by a puppet play when He saw the great Shah puppet thrown in a box after the show.

In the Lawhu'r-Ra'is, Baha'u'llah announced as his aim the unification of the peoples of the world. In the Persian Lawh-i Ra'is, written upon his arrival in Akka and also addressed to Ali Pasha, Baha'u'llah compares the ephemeral pomp and circumstance of the Ottoman court to the elaborate puppet shows he saw as a child at court in Tehran, at the end of which the royal puppets in all their finery were unceremoniously packed into a trunk. - Juan Cole

No comments: